Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
An area for discussion on the up and coming exhibition topics

TOPIC: 2018 Schedule - February Topics

2018 Schedule - February Topics 16 Dec 2017 08:15 #4355

• Bear
Framed
An image in which natural framing is used to draw the eye to the main subject and convey depth in the image.
Framing is simply using other objects in your photograph to frame the main subject. This is probably one of the easier composition techniques in photography. Framing brings more depth to the picture and a better focus on what the main subject is. Framing refers to using elements of a scene to create a frame within your frame. For example, you might shoot through a doorway, pulled back curtains, branches, fences, tunnels, or arches to highlight your subject. Adding a focal point through framing shows a viewer exactly where to look.
Aside from directing attention, the use of framing gives a photo context. Foreground elements around your subject, for example, add to the story told by your image. A frame formed by branches or flowers indicates that the photo was taken in a forest or garden. Books surrounding the edges of the image show that the subject is in a library. Natural frames, like foliage or blossoms, are easy to find. Look for angles that give you a “window” to shoot through. Contrasting colours between the frame and subject are also helpful in attracting a viewer’s attention.
Monochromatic Portrait
A monochromatic portrait of an individual subject.
When you take a portrait focus on a person’s fashion as much as his or her facial features.
The most important part of most portraits are the eyes. They are usually the focal point that the rest of your image is built around. This is especially true with black and white. With the omission of colour, a black and white image often breaks down into graphic forms and shapes. Eyes are shapes that everyone recognizes and they draw immediate focus from your viewers. Make sure that your subject’s eyes are well lit, and focus is critical.
The use of light and shade on monochromatic portraits are of vital importance.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heather, JillH, MikeB, Chris dB, DebbieS, Jodie D

2018 Schedule - February Topics 12 Jan 2018 17:39 #4429

• JillH
I just had a look at the WAPF Clickwest page - and our top for February is Monochromtic Portrait - but there topics are -

Monochromatic Category
“An image about an exterior space in a town or city, that includes at least one person or animal and/or features an indication of man’s active presence. Evidence of the urban environment must be clearly shown in the image.”

Portraiture Category
“An image of a person or group of people that captures the personality of the subject(s). May range from a head to a full-length study.”

NOT actually Monochromatic portrait - from what I can understand the monochrome topic doesn't necessarily have to include a person, and the portrait category can be mono or colour.

Or am I incorrect?
www.wapf.org.au/WAPFJ/index.php/competit...ed/96-clickwest-2018

2018 Schedule - February Topics 12 Jan 2018 17:46 #4430

• Bear
My understanding is that the Portraiture topic is colour or mono, as they do not specify any specific type.
Dennis

2018 Schedule - February Topics 12 Jan 2018 19:30 #4431

• JillH
so why is our topic "mono portrait" if we are saying it is a Clickwest topic? Too late I know now.

2018 Schedule - February Topics 13 Jan 2018 06:23 #4434

• JillH
I just thought that as we had noted on our schedule that it was a "Clickwest topic", we would have had the same description as the actual Clickwest topic.
Anyways, no probs.

2018 Schedule - February Topics 14 Jan 2018 10:11 #4438

Thanks Jill for picking this up. Yep looks like we made an error in writing "Clickwest Topic" as the click west portraiture topic is broader than our months theme, being mono only.

2018 Schedule - February Topics 16 Feb 2018 23:05 #4610

Does a portrait have to show the face and eyes?
Can you have portrait showing a person from behind?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris dB

2018 Schedule - February Topics 17 Feb 2018 13:40 #4611

• Bear
In my opinion, it is a risk you take if the judge does not like it. If the image portrays the person, maybe identifies the person in some way then why not.
I should be writing a disclaimer at his stage.
Life is a risk, why not live it!
Dennis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris dB

2018 Schedule - February Topics 23 Feb 2018 21:43 #4653

The judge's critique for the projected topic 'Framed' is below.

The judge was Steph Gibson from Mandurah Camera Club.

File Attachment:

File Name: Judges_critique_02-18_Framed_thumbnails.pdf
File Size: 663 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heather, Bear, MikeB, Chris dB, Marilyn, Tammy W
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds