Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
An area for discussion on the up and coming exhibition topics

TOPIC: 2018 Schedule - January Topics

2018 Schedule - January Topics 16 Dec 2017 08:18 #4356

• Bear
Emotion
A photograph in which an emotion (love, joy, happiness, surprise, calmness, inquisitiveness, sorrow, fear, disgust, hate and the like) is either depicted by the subject(s) and/or it can evoke emotion(s) in the viewer of the photo. Capturing emotion(s) in photographs is about capturing moments in time that hopefully tell a story or encourage the viewer to imagine a story.
One of the key ways to create emotion in your photos is to create some sort of empathy with your subject. The empathy can show love and compassion (if your subjects look lost, miserable, or isolated). Or you can empathize with a subject in a positive way (feeling the joy they do, the happiness they do, or the positive energy they do).
When you look at your images for selection for exhibition or the photos of others look at the subjects in a photograph and ask yourself, “Can I feel the same emotions that they do?”
They can show emotions in different ways— through their body language (are they hunched over, standing upright, or leaning a certain way?) People show emotion through hand gestures (how they position their hand to their chin, to their hips, or their face). People show emotion through their eyes— if they are looking straight at the photographer, if they are looking into the distance, or looking at someone else in the frame.
Another thing that brings emotion to a scene is the light. If you capture beautiful morning light, you get a sense of serenity, of new beginnings, and adventure.
If you capture the calm of a sunset, you think of closure, a bittersweet ending, or the end of a good day.
Golden light brings feelings of positivity, hope, and love.
Cool light (neon colours late at night, or at ‘blue hour’) bring feelings of melancholy, sadness, or contemplation.
The light of a bright flash (shot head on) can make a scene feel more edgy, dynamic, or intense.
Experiment with different lighting situations. Experiment shooting in the harsh light, during golden hour, or using an external flash. Shoot through soft window lighting, or in situations where there is fluorescent or artificial lighting. See how you can get different types of light to affect the mood of a scene.
Closely tied with light, is colour. Colour will change the emotion of a scene dramatically.
Follow the Curve/s
Choose a curved line, or lines, for the eye to follow. Architecture, flora, fauna, you will find curves everywhere, limited only by your imagination. (Wagin Interclub topic).
Curves make an image easy to look at by leading the viewer’s eye through the frame. It is almost as if the photographer takes the viewer by the hand, draws them into the landscape, and points the way. The viewer’s eyes are compelled to follow the line.
Curves are graceful, rhythmic, dynamic and add energy to an image. They can separate or connect elements or simply offer a balance.
C curves, or semi-circles, are probably the easiest curves to find since almost any curve qualifies. It can be anything from the gentle curve of a seashore, lakeshore, a rounded rock, or grasses blowing in the wind.
Arches are another form of curve. S curves can have a mesmerizing effect on the viewer as their eyes sweep back and forth through the frame. They also create a sense of depth as the eye moves from foreground to background. Circles can be found in nature from ripples in a pond or puddles of water, or in many man-made objects. Often in architecture you can find compositions that combine multiple curves as well as some lines that add depth and variety to the image.
Check out this link from a British photographer shooting for "Curves" in London.
Surely, we can do it here too.
He uses an Olympus camera with grad. filters and polarisers.
Search for “e6 vlog Urban Abstracts - Shooting with a theme by Craig Roberts”
Here is the link www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRkV8eRVvxwVStV5May0rQ
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PGoBWM, Denise, JillH, MikeB, Chris dB, lisa_hubbard, Marilyn, Tammy W, Jodie D, Josie M and this user have 2 others thankyou

2018 Schedule - January Topics 16 Dec 2017 16:32 #4358

fabulous write up Dennis. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear

2018 Schedule - January Topics 16 Dec 2017 16:46 #4359

• Bear
Thanks, Mostly is research from the web and I have extracted what I thought would be relevant to our club and topic.
Dennis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris dB, BradB

2018 Schedule - January Topics 26 Jan 2018 07:00 #4486

The critique for the projected theme Emotion was provided from the judge Alan Carter and is attached.

Alan's work can be seen on his website: www.alancarter.smugmug.com
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear, MikeB, BruceW

2018 Schedule - January Topics 26 Jan 2018 07:01 #4487

The critique for the projected theme Emotion was provided from the judge Alan Carter and is attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: Judges_critique_01-18_Emotion-2_2018-01-25.pdf
File Size: 467 KB

Alan's work can be seen on his website: www.alancarter.smugmug.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear, Tammy W, Josie M

2018 Schedule - January Topics 26 Jan 2018 07:37 #4489

Hi All

Sorry for the confusion in the awards handed out by the print judge for the January theme - follow the curves.

Normally, all awards are called out by the judge and noted by the exhibition coordinator during the judges critique. However, a lot more awards were awarded than what the judge read out. So I have scanned the judges comment sheets and attached here. Please excuse the scribbled names as it was a rush to try get the images names down before they were taken off the boards. All awards have now been attributed to the correct member. Please check to see if you were awarded and hopefully the critique will help you identify what image got what award and you can upload your awarded images to the gallery if you like.

if you need any clarification on my scribble let me know. I know the quality of it is pretty low but I can't upload a larger file size so will have to try make do. Please just ask if you want me to clarify.

File Attachment:

File Name: Print_judge_critique_JAN_2.pdf
File Size: 182 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heather, Bear, MikeB, Chris dB, Alyson, Tammy W, Josie M, BruceW

2018 Schedule - January Topics 26 Jan 2018 08:33 #4492

• Bear
Good work Jodie,
Thanks,
Dennis

2018 Schedule - January Topics 26 Jan 2018 09:32 #4495

• MikeB
My appreciation also, given everything happening around you - well done

2018 Schedule - January Topics 26 Jan 2018 12:18 #4501

Great effort to get all the names down Jodie for the printed images.

Well done and thanks.

2018 Schedule - January Topics 26 Jan 2018 12:37 #4506

• JillH
well done Jodie. I know this problem hasn't arisen before, but there is always a first time, and maybe we can devise a system which will cope with it next time.

2018 Schedule - January Topics 06 Feb 2018 11:18 #4552

• JillH
might be an idea to let everyone know at the next club night that the awards were not all announced and can be found on this page.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear

2018 Schedule - January Topics 06 Feb 2018 11:19 #4553

• Bear
Noted and agree.
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds