Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Do you need help or have you come across something you think others may find useful?

TOPIC: Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) 16 Dec 2017 21:43 #4360

Hi all,

I'm planning a four-day trip to Ho Chi Minh City with a friend on the Labor Day long-weekend in March 2018 which will be largely photography-motivated.

Just wondering if anyone has had an experience there - in particularly on the topic of photography - sites, locations, general advice ... would love to hear it.

Cheers

Matt
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) 18 Dec 2017 09:11 #4364

• MikeB
Hi Matt, great place to visit, everything is photo worthy, from the markets to the street photograph, traffic, people, architectural & food. People are very friendly and like getting into your personal space (no threat, just how they are). I used my 24-105mm lens almost exclusively as it could accommodate most scenarios.

Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) 18 Dec 2017 17:20 #4368

• Chris dB
  • aka Chris de Blank
Hope you have a great time Matt. I found the women covered their faces either with cloth or their hand (so they didn't get tanned, they want to be as light coloured as they can), I didn't understand this when I was there so it put me off a bit.

I've just re-read your message and realised you're just asking about Ho Chi Minh City so you shouldn't have this trouble there being a big city.

Lots of architecture both inside and outside, Cu Chi Tunnels were a great experience. Allow time to just hang out in the streets, always something happening.
Unlike Mike we didn't find the people very friendly.
Cheers Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattP

Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) 21 Dec 2017 21:14 #4372

• MikeB
Matt, passed on, on behalf of Greg Wynn

I was just flicking on the PGOB website to see what was happening with
the group. I saw that somebody named Matt was planning a trip to HCMC. I
was there in April and did a half day photography trip to Cholon with a
guy called Arnaud. His website is www.vietnamphotoadventures.com.
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought I'd pass it on in case he is interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattP

Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) 21 Dec 2017 23:37 #4374

Mike/Chris,

All of that is very helpful. I had a 5min (11pm) glance at his website and it looks right up my alley. Thanks you very much for the info and sharing your experiences. I'll touch base with Arnaud :)

Matt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear, Chris dB

Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) 21 Jan 2018 09:42 #4475

• Wynny
Hi Matt

I have rejoined the Photography group so will be happy to catch up with you on Thursday night if you are there.

Greg Wynn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear

Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) 28 Jan 2018 10:29 #4516

• Wynny
Hi Matt

Good catching up with you on Thursday. Just a couple of things that came to mind:
- I found the War Museum and Reunification Palace interesting. Great display of war photography at the War Museum although it can be quite confronting. Cu Chi tunnels are supposed to be interesting to see as well but I didn't go to them as I felt "warred out" after the museum.
- The tower I mentioned is the Bitexco Tower. That whole area is an interesting modern contrast to most of HCMC.
- Keep your camera close to you especially near traffic as they can be grabbed. Same with bags.
- As I mentioned very little English is spoken especially outside District 1. Have written down where you want to go and always carry the address where you are staying.
- On Facebook Vietnam Wonders was a great group for picking up tips and asking questions.
- There are money changers that give a good rate at the airport.
- Stick with Vinasun taxis. Good rates and honest (but still little English) and there are some very dodgy ones apparently.
- Enjoy and go with the flow.

Hope this helps

Greg
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds