Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Do you need help or have you come across something you think others may find useful?

TOPIC: CR2 file or DNG in Lightroom

CR2 file or DNG in Lightroom 28 Jan 2018 14:17 #4521

• JillH
I have a question relating to CR2 and DNG files uploaded from my camera to Lightroom.
Up to now my files have been importing as DNGs to Lightroom, and now all of a sudden they are uploading as CR2 files, with an additional "xmp" file for every photo.
I've tried to research this on the net, but I am feeling a little confused.
My question is, should I convert all these photos to DNGs? And if yes, should I delete the CR2 files and the xmp files. And what are the xmp files anyway? Do I need them?
I would appreciate some help. Thanks everyone.

photographylife.com/dng-vs-raw
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear, MikeB

CR2 file or DNG in Lightroom 28 Jan 2018 18:45 #4525

• Bear
Don't think I can help.
Dennis

CR2 file or DNG in Lightroom 29 Jan 2018 11:47 #4527

• MikeB
Hi Jill, if you have DNG's they are effectively the raw file (CR2) and in my view you don't need both. The .xmp file is what they call a sidecar file and comes with working in Adobe products i.e. Lightroom. I have attached a link that offers a clear explanation on what purpose an xmp file serves.

I only use DNG's as this allows me to operate across a multitude of software products in post processing.

fileinfo.com/extension/xmp

Hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear, JillH

CR2 file or DNG in Lightroom 29 Jan 2018 13:33 #4531

• JillH
Thanks Mike.

they say - NOTE: If you delete the XMP file, you will lose all edits to the corresponding camera raw file.

I wonder if this is edits you have done "during Lightroom processing". I've deleted some xmp file's and now I am wondering what that has done.

My computer was always uploading photos through Lightroom as dng - now it has decided to uploaded them as CR2s. I don't know why. Obviously there is a setting I can go to to import them as dngs.

CR2 file or DNG in Lightroom 29 Jan 2018 14:08 #4533

• JillH
i've just converted files from CR2 to DNGs and now I have both copies. So I should be able to delete the CR2s and the xmps now?

CR2 file or DNG in Lightroom 29 Jan 2018 20:32 #4534

• MikeB
the xmp file contains all the edit data from your raw file (non destructive), if you delete the xmp then you lose this information, that's all, so if you have a lot of editing on some images I would keep that xmp and CR2 file. Someone else may have additional info on this.

I would delete the CR2 files - I have done this previously when I brought a lot data over to Lightroom - you don't need both and you don't lose the dng file by deleting the CR2 file.

Jill you can change your import settings in Edit -> Preferences -> File Handling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JillH

CR2 file or DNG in Lightroom 30 Jan 2018 07:42 #4539

• Chris dB
  • aka Chris de Blank
Jill, your edits should now be in your dng file so you could delete your cr2 and xmt files. They are not stored in the catalogue with dng. Maybe just test with deleting one image initially.

When you import your images up the top of the middle section it has Copy as DNG or Copy (Copy will give you CR2 and XMP files), just change yours to Copy as DNG and it should stay there until you change it.
Cheers Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heather, JillH

CR2 file or DNG in Lightroom 30 Jan 2018 08:42 #4540

• JillH
thanks for this Chris. I have no idea why the importing changed...something to do with my new Lightroom maybe...... I am such a dunce with technical stuff.
Thanks all!
Jill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear

CR2 file or DNG in Lightroom 30 Jan 2018 19:18 #4545

• JillH
thanks everyone. I think my LIghtroom has finally realised I want to import as dngs. Thanks everyone for your help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear, Chris dB
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds