Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Do you need help or have you come across something you think others may find useful?

TOPIC: Printing Images for Club Night

Printing Images for Club Night 22 Mar 2018 23:28 #4745

Hi folks,

Just hoping to getting some assistance with image size and resolution. I have always "run-scared" of printed topics as I hate trying to get my images into something presentable (lots of prior failures!!!).

I'm planning on taking my image to OfficeWorks where I've had reasonable success previously. I have a black and white image that I would like to print to somewhere around the 16 x 20" size (with some white around the edge for mounting/framing, and to meet the Club's maximum size). This image is currently in RAW as shot - I want to convert it to a .jpeg to take to OfficeWorks on a USB stick, using "Export" in Lightroom.

My main question: What parameters should I enter into Lightroom when using the "Image Sizing" tab?

Should I "Resize to Fit"? Should I tick or untick "Don't Enlarge" box. What Resolution should I put in?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Matt
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris dB

Printing Images for Club Night 23 Mar 2018 19:29 #4748

• Chris dB
  • aka Chris de Blank
Hi Matt

You need to think ratios.
Crop your image in Lightroom to the ratio that you're going to print at. 6" x 4" = 1.5, 20" x 16" = 1.25. My Canon full frame has a ratio of 1.5 so I'd need to change the ratio of the to print correctly on 20" x 16".

On export I wouldn't worry about specifying image sizing jut maybe reduce the image size to 6mb or so which would be ample. Make sure that you're exporting to SRGB colour space for Officeworks, unless you've been told otherwise and make sure your resolution is 300 ppi.

Hope this is makes sense. Feel free to call me before Wed if you need more clarification. 0417 810 650

Chris
Cheers Chris

Printing Images for Club Night 24 Mar 2018 22:23 #4750

Hi Chris,

Your advice was right on the money. Thank you. I ended up with two prints that I'm very happy with! :)

Matt

Printing Images for Club Night 25 Mar 2018 15:38 #4753

• Chris dB
  • aka Chris de Blank
cool, happy to help, good luck
Cheers Chris

Printing Images for Club Night 26 Mar 2018 07:58 #4756

I don’t understand what you mean by ratios Chris, I’ll have to pick you brain at Jurien.

Printing Images for Club Night 26 Mar 2018 19:17 #4763

• Chris dB
  • aka Chris de Blank
sure think Heather
Cheers Chris
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds