Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Do you need help or have you come across something you think others may find useful?

TOPIC: Why a camera might be the least important thing!

Why a camera might be the least important thing! 26 Aug 2016 08:55 #2864

Why a camera might be the least important thing a photographer brings to the job

Quite a thought provoking article this one. From a commercial perspective clients are demanding more for less, new photographers are charging less to break into an already saturated market place.

I really liked the quote at the end:

"Photography takes skill, craft, and training — more than just the click of a button. And good photography costs more than just the price of the equipment used."

medium.com/@copyright4u/why-a-camera-mig...ae9c62f59#.esbwfni8w
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JillH, MikeB, jan, Tammy W

Why a camera might be the least important thing! 26 Aug 2016 19:21 #2869

Thanks Ash

Always a controversial topic. The article is an interesting read but I can honestly say that I don't agree with the statement "But it was only Spencer’s that captured the world’s imagination and defined that moment" as I haven't seen it!

The digital revolution has certainly made it easy for millions of people to snap away, making it harder for those experienced or aspiring professional to earn a living. However, the story is not a new one it is just the one that is affecting us in our lifetime and we struggle with it because it is what we love and are involved in.

This sort of thing has been happening forever. Think about farmers put out of business and abandoning homes because it was not longer viable to complete with the bigger farmer who had a mechanical tractor, milking machine etc - at that time people didn't care about the personal attention that farmer put into his product. All they wanted was more food at a cheaper price. (Now we can respect and understand the value of the small number of niche farmers and their quality product and we pay a premium for it)

The same thing would have affected people who made furniture - everything was once hand crafted. But they wouldn't have been able to compete with cheap veneers, plantation pine, big factories, ready to assemble furniture packed in cardboard box. Now a handful of artisan furniture makers command huge prices for their work.

Put your thinking cap on and I am sure you can come up with hundreds of similar things. That's life, change is inevitable.
Denise Aitken
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heather, Lyn, APearce
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds