Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Do you need help or have you come across something you think others may find useful?

TOPIC: Toby Gorillapod

Toby Gorillapod 27 Sep 2016 20:06 #2982

• Chris dB
  • aka Chris de Blank
After some info, suggestions, advise please. I've won a gift voucher for a couple of hundred dollars from Camera House as part of my prize in the Perth Nationals. I was thinking of a getting Joby Gorillapod and ball head for my DSLR. Does anyone have this gear? I'd love to know your thoughts. Do you use it? Or use it often? Is it just a gimmick etc etc

Thanks
Cheers Chris
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Toby Gorillapod 27 Sep 2016 21:55 #2985

• JillH
I have a Gorillapod, and have rarely used it, though I have recommended it to others instead of carrying a tripod. That said, I cart a tripod on camping trips and rarely get it out, so I probably can't fairly recommend the Gorillapod or not. I should have had my Gorrillapod in the Kimberley with me when my tripod leg broke!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris dB

Toby Gorillapod 27 Sep 2016 22:01 #2986

HI Chris- yes I have one.... borrow mine & have a play before buying...will bring to club night.... I have used mine on & off ...mainly when i need to get lower than what I can get my tripod to...but i also use my home made bean bag to set the camera on..
If I had to travel without my tripod then this would meet some needs but ultimately you still need to rest /stand it on something when not wanting a ground perspective!! It seems the flexible legs have some limitations

Toby Gorillapod 28 Sep 2016 02:44 #2988

Chris I have one in the cupboard too. I tried it a few times and I think it is useless. I think the small ones would be good for the small compacts, but the large ones are bulky and they don't wrap well (at least that was my experience)
Denise Aitken
The following user(s) said Thank You: wendyp, Chris dB

Toby Gorillapod 29 Sep 2016 12:22 #2995

Chris I have a small one which I found very useful when I had my compact camera. The smaller ones seem to work better to wrap around branches and poles etc for securing the camera. The big ones just don't appear to have the same 'wrap capabilities' and I suspect they wouldn't be very useful in most situations. I could probably still use mine for my Olympus mirror-less if I only had a small lens on it, but I haven't used it and don't tend to have it with me when I think that maybe I could try it!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wendyp, Chris dB

Toby Gorillapod 13 Oct 2016 07:09 #3040

• Lyn
Chris, I have used the Joby Gorillapod at times such as tabletop photography and the odd occasion overseas when I needed a longer shutter speed and stability. Mostly it depends on what lens you have attached as it wouldn't support a very long one. It supports the Nikon with a 16-85mm lens and works well with the Panasonic for wildflower closeups. Recommend you borrow Wendy's to test it out for yourself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wendyp

Toby Gorillapod 13 Oct 2016 14:03 #3043

I have one...I don't bother with the Ball head as you can move the arms to position and then fix it in post. Great for attaching Speedlites to as well. I use it mostly traveling to take the pain out of having to take a tripod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wendyp
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds