Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Do you need help or have you come across something you think others may find useful?

TOPIC: your thoughts on pricing images

your thoughts on pricing images 07 Oct 2016 16:53 #3016

• JillH
I decided to put this question out to the Club to see what people think would be a fair sale price.

I have been approached by a new B&B wanting wildflower images to hang in their new rooms. They want to buy the digital files and they will organise the printing themselves. They also say they will put a price on the images if guests want to buy them.
My dilemma is what to charge them for the images given I will be sending them the digital files. It's always a difficult to thing. Charge too little and you are giving your work away. Charge too much and you won't make the sale. Then they just sit languishing on your computer.

I was thinking charging maybe $100 per image. They say they will sell the images "on my behalf". But of course if they have the digital files I wouldn't know if they sell them or not. So it is a matter of trust.

What would you consider to be a fair sell price?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

your thoughts on pricing images 08 Oct 2016 20:25 #3018

Hi Jill

This is interesting, so I guess there are a number of questions that need to be asked and answered.

1. Are you selling a RAW file or JPEG and if so, how big will the jpeg be, as it will determine the size that they can print?
2. Are you retaining copyright of your images
3. If they are reprinting and unselling the images, what percentage do you get from the sale?
4. Will you be acknowledged on the print as photographer
5. Perhaps you may like to consider a limited number of copies (e.g. 20)

If you do provide a digital copy there is no way that you can control the prints, even with an agreement, if they decide not to abide by the agreement. You would need to discover that your images had been copied and then you would need to pursue to recover costs (perhaps in court).

The real question is can you be content to be paid $100 per image and be satisfied that you may not get anything more (but of course you might make a small fortune and get other work as a result)
Denise Aitken
The following user(s) said Thank You: JillH

your thoughts on pricing images 08 Oct 2016 22:02 #3020

• JillH
Thanks so much for your thoughts Denise. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

I would be selling JPEGs, but yes, I would need to find out what size they will be printing. - good point. They seem to prefer that they get the printing done themselves, so unfortunately I would have no control over how many are printed. I would be retaining copyright, and be acknowledged on the print. I would ask for a percentage of the sale too, though of course I wouldn't really know if they sell or not.
I have sold digital files before to a couple of corporations for brochures, books, etc, and they have paid me when they have used them again. But of course, I would never know for sure if they used them without telling me. In those cases they determined what they paid me, not me. A bit like when I write for magazines. They determine what they pay, not the writer/photographer.

Thanks Denise. More for me to mull over.

your thoughts on pricing images 09 Oct 2016 10:22 #3021

• MikeB
My two cents worth.......the question is what degree of hassles (and potentially ongoing) do you want to be bothered by? An alternative is that you sell the file complete at a price and it's done & dusted and they have full commercial use, you don't care how many images are printed/ongoing payment for prints sold etc. The only decisions to be negotiated is what rights you retain to use that image later & acknowledgement.

your thoughts on pricing images 09 Oct 2016 12:45 #3023

• JillH
what do you consider would be a good once off price Mike?

your thoughts on pricing images 10 Oct 2016 15:33 #3026

• MikeB
Hi Jill, I have no idea on this, I would be looking to get additional advice.

your thoughts on pricing images 12 Oct 2016 19:14 #3035

Hi Jill

My only experience with this is when I engaged a photographer to take a series of images at a number of sites and we paid a good price for his time and images. We could use his images as much as we like however we liked (brochures, websites etc) with acknowledgement. The only thing we couldn't do was produced a commercial sized billboard (not sure why that was stipulated in the contract). We paid something like $10,000 for ten days work over ten sites plus editing time. We got 100 or so edited images. That was maybe 5 years ago and as an organisation we still use them all the time so value for money for us and the photographer was happy with what he got paid.

I suggest name your terms with what you re happy with then negotiate with them from there til a mutual happy point is identified.

Hope that helps.

Jodie

your thoughts on pricing images 12 Oct 2016 20:59 #3037

• JillH
thanks so much Jodie. It is good to get ideas from different viewpoints and experience.
I think that the $ they want to pay is an issue, ie I think they were hoping to get the images for next to nothing. They are getting the printing done and decorating their rooms with them, and I would get commission if any of them were sold. (if I were told they were sold....)
I've just sent them some thumbnail images for samples, and I will wait and see their response.
Thanks Jodie.

your thoughts on pricing images 13 Oct 2016 14:01 #3042

HI Jill

My 2 cents worth and a bit of history behind my pricing.

The others are correct in saying once you sell them you have no control over how many prints they can then reproduce.

One option would be is to find out what size they want and you get them printed professionally and factor that cost into the pricing.

Otherwise the purchaser can print off as many copies as you like. Purchasers don't really give a stuff about licencing agreements once they purchase so even if you have licensed them for their business use only...they will go an print 20! Yes I am cynical as I get product stolen all the time! Hence why I now don't do any free work or give away product as I may as well recoup some cost.

In a workshop I did with Christian Fletcher and Nick Rains once we asked the question of pricing. CF has two methods of pricing. One is a cost per square inch of the print. Which does or does not include framing (some of his a print sold only). I can't remember the exact amount I am sorry.

The other is 2.5x his costs. So if it costs him $100 to print and $100 to frame the sold for $500.

I think Denise said you have to be happy with what you wish to sell it for. Taking into account the cost of your gear, depreciation to replace it etc etc or more importantly...how much you need the cash and how much you reckon they will sell it for.

As a guide I sell my sporting photos at $25 per download...some people purhcase but you will ALWAYS have someone at a game taking photos and then giving them away for free on social media :( :( :angry: :angry:

LOng winded answer to say if you are happy with $100 per image..go for it. I don't think that is unreasonable for an asking price.

your thoughts on pricing images 13 Oct 2016 14:26 #3045

• JillH
thank you so much for your insight Ashley. I really appreciate this input. Pricing is a really tricky thing. I always struggle with it. Unfortunately the buyers budget is always a problem, but is that really my problem? Or is selling something for anything better than not selling anything and have them languishing on my computer?
Thanks Ash.

your thoughts on pricing images 13 Oct 2016 14:33 #3049

I've learnt the hard way and buyers will always tell you they don't have a budget.

I do agree with your last comment...but as photographers..and a group is that we undervalue what our images are worth!
Think of it this way Jill...do people haggle with their doctors and dentists on price?
The following user(s) said Thank You: wendyp, JillH

your thoughts on pricing images 13 Oct 2016 14:37 #3051

• JillH
good point Ash!
The following user(s) said Thank You: APearce
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds