Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Photography Group of Bunbury forum!

Although some of us know each, we have lots of new members who don't and as this forum is a new addition to our website we are all new to it.

Please introduce yourself and tell us a little about why you joined the club, the camera or cameras you use, what you use for post processing and what sort of photos you like to take.Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

TOPIC: Hi from Dan Barker

Hi from Dan Barker 05 Sep 2015 19:12 #1794

• Dan
Hi all,
My name is Dan and Ive just recently joined. I joined initially hoping to learn about underwater photography from some of the other members however after seeing some of the beautiful shots people were taking at the last meet, I've brought out the DSLR and started to shoot conventional shots again.

This week I've experimented with HDR and had some results I was really pleased with, so at the moment I'm scanning the land for contrasty scenes that I can bracket and process as HDRs!

I generally work on the weekends so it looks like I'll miss a lot of the club's outings, however, I have my regular days off early in the week so if anyone tends to go out and about with the cameras on other days or in the evenings, please let me know!

Anyone interested in what types of shots i've been taking to date can check out my Deviant art page here:

holophite.deviantart.com/

(My photographs are primarily in my Neg and CCD, HDR and Marine folders for those interested).

Apologies if my work isn't the standard of a lot of the club's stuff - some are travel photos and scenes of stuff I just really like.

Cheers!
Dan
Dan B
Member 435
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wendyp, Lyn, MikeB, Chris dB

Hi from Dan Barker 05 Sep 2015 20:23 #1795

• Wynny
Hi Dan

Welcome. Can't help you with underwater photography but hopefully we can exchange our expertise on other types of photography. I work on the premise that you can learn something from everybody so look forward to picking your brains.

I have avoided HDR in the past but like yourself I have been dabbling with it over the past few months. Still haven't decided if I like it but it may be very useful for some photos and I think your Preston River photo shows some of its possibilities. The extra dynamic range could occasionally assist with photos that suit mono conversion so might be worth persisting with even if I only use it occasionally.

Wasn't there last month but look forward to catching up in the future.

Greg Wynn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lyn, Chris dB

Hi from Dan Barker 06 Sep 2015 09:01 #1796

• Dan
Hi Greg!
I've found that its not the images I expect that come to life using HDR which has one particular fun (and frustrating) aspect - like shooting on film, its not until you get to the 'lab' (ie load the images into the tone mapping software!) that you start to get an idea of what you've got. I guess over time I'll get a sense of what works but for now its quite fun to see what appears. :) DB
Dan B
Member 435

Hi from Dan Barker 06 Sep 2015 16:53 #1801

• Wynny
Hi Dan

I'm still very much at the trial and error stage with HDR. I have figured out that the in camera HDR in my camera (Canon 6D) is ok but not great. I have one photo from this that I may enter next month in the Travel Photography section but apart from the odd photo the results aren't great.

I have approached the bracketing for HDR through light room as I would any other photo shoot and concentrate on composition, settings etc. My thinking is that this way I can post-process normally with individual files or combine to see what they look like in HDR. I have attached a photo of The Rose that I took a couple of weeks ago which didn't turn out too bad.

By the way with the fantasy style of photography that you seem interested in maybe check out Missy Grant's photos for a Bunbury photographer who is doing some great work.

Greg
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wendyp, Lyn

Hi from Dan Barker 06 Sep 2015 20:21 #1802

• Dan
That's a nice one, Greg. I like the perspective you've taken it from and the paving in the foreground has leaped to life. The building definitely looks a lot more classically styled, tone-mapped (unless that's just the sharpness of the image)!

I think night scenes really lend themselves well to the process. I reckon water reflections will look good too, so shots across the plug and the estuary are back on the agenda, for sure. My D200 doesn't do HDR inhouse so I've been using Photomatix and it gives you a lot of control over the variations you can make.

I feel like I've been on Mars for a decade - I haven't looked at Lightroom but gather its post production orientated software. I'm still just using an old version of Photoshop CS.

Will Google Missy Grant - thanks!

DB
Dan B
Member 435
The following user(s) said Thank You: wendyp, Lyn

Hi from Dan Barker 07 Sep 2015 19:25 #1807

Welcome Dan - there is no such thing as a 'standard' in the club. Most of us have started as newish photographers and we have all grown from the experiences of being a member of the club, we learnt new things and as a result across the club, members improve their photographic skills. We are just further along the path, but still learning new things all the time.

By the way there is an Underwater Photography Club in WA and they are a member of WAPF Click here to go to the WAUPS
Denise Aitken

Hi from Dan Barker 24 Sep 2015 00:29 #1853

Hi Dan,
Welcome to the club. Look forward to seeing some new images and styles from some of our new members, there seem sto be a few of you since I was last at club night. It makes it really interesting to come along and look at all the interpretations of the monthly topics.
Heather

Hi from Dan Barker 29 Sep 2015 21:43 #1872

• Dan
Another stupid question, sorry!

Can I trouble someone to show me the link for the Spring/seasons assignment for next month - I can't find it!

Cheers,
Dan
Dan B
Member 435

Hi from Dan Barker 30 Sep 2015 06:46 #1875

Hi Dan- try this
I clicked on the 'club' header
www.photographygroupofbunbury.com/index.php/club-night

Hi from Dan Barker 30 Sep 2015 22:02 #1884

• Dan
Thanks Heather - Im looking forward to seeing what everyone makes of the seasons thing too!
Dan B
Member 435

Hi from Dan Barker 30 Sep 2015 22:03 #1885

• Dan
Thanks Wendy - I thought I'd looked everywhere!
Dan B
Member 435

Hi from Dan Barker 01 Oct 2015 21:31 #1887

hmmnnn......... a man look !! ;)

Hi from Dan Barker 02 Oct 2015 17:34 #1889

• Dan
Clearly a website built around girl-logic! :-)
Dan B
Member 435
The following user(s) said Thank You: wendyp
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds