Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
An area for discussion on the up and coming exhibition topics

TOPIC: 2019 Schedule - April Topic

2019 Schedule - April Topic 11 Jan 2019 11:06 #5440

• Bear
Australian Rural Life (Royal Show Topic)
Photographs must depict some aspect of modern agricultural activity or life on the land and can include people, animals and machinery in a rural environment. The photograph must have been taken in Australia.
To portray the Australian Rural Life, I would suggest that you need to truthful as possible and allow the subjects to tell their story through your image.
Try to capture the essence of the outback, the rural industry and way of life – to evoke feelings and emotions in people that view the images which encourage them to feel a sense of being there, and heighten their appreciation for what is pictured in the scene.
Dust, movement, rural untidiness all these can contribute to an image that conveys what it means living from the land.
You might have to engage with farmers in order to get the desired images, be aware to portray farming in a positive way. An image of dried trees could be misinterpreted as mismanagement, when they could have died form drought, fire or some other incident not related to farm management. try to portray the positive side of farming, you might find some farmers might have doubts due to the reasons mentioned above.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heather, MikeB, Chris dB, DebbieS, LinaC, KyleaH

2019 Schedule - April Topic 01 Apr 2019 23:25 #5760

Great point Dennis to portray in a positive light, and as a farmers daughter I would definitely encourage it. However if you like a more documentary style then you can portray it any way you like, but it probably wouldn’t work so well at the Royal Agricultural show! Another thing to remember is that there has been some use of drones etc for casing out rural crime and animal activists have been gaining illegal access to property , so I strongly advise getting the farmer onside before doing anything that could be misconstrued. I have in the past slipped through a dodger fence to grab a shot of a dam, windmill or shed, but I don’t think I would anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear, MikeB, Chris dB

2019 Schedule - April Topic 13 Apr 2019 19:27 #5825

I was taking a couple of shots of a massive tractor spraying a paddock yesterday at Parkfields, near the Buffalo Beach turn-off and Forrest Hwy.
The driver gave me the finger, then stopped the machine, jumped out and yelled out "F… 0ff" and gave me the finger again. He was really upset yet I was in a public place, not on their property and shooting from a distance. He either had a bad day, bad experience or is a very aggresive employee!!
I decided to leave!
Chris Tate
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear, MikeB, Chris dB

2019 Schedule - April Topic 14 Apr 2019 09:02 #5828

• Bear
I think this business with the vegans has lots of farmers and the workers concerned.
It is a worry though.
Keep safe.
Dennis

2019 Schedule - April Topic 16 Apr 2019 11:55 #5833

• MikeB
I recently took some shots at a dairy farm and initially the farmer was not that keen but after clarifying who I was and what I wanted he was extremely helpful - his issue also was the negative publicity and vegan extremists. He actually had a calf stolen!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear

2019 Schedule - April Topic 25 Apr 2019 15:11 #5841

It is sad that these extremists are trying to harm the reputation of good farmers, and at the same time they are creating a negative view of vegans. We need to be careful not to blame vegans for the actions of a few.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear

2019 Schedule - April Topic 26 Apr 2019 08:21 #5847

A great number of images once again this month.

Greg Perry was our projected judge and his critique is attached.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear, MikeB, JulieK
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds