× An area for discussion on the up and coming exhibition topics

2020 Schedule - January Topics

More
18 Dec 2019 16:49 #6640 by Bear
2020 Schedule - January Topics was created by Bear
Projected – Landscape ‘Open’ Landscape Click West Topic)
Any ‘scape’ that includes a component of the Earth’s surface.

Landscape photography conveys the appreciation of the world through beautiful imagery of the nature that can be comprised of mountains, deserts, rivers, oceans, waterfalls, plants, animals and other scenery or life.
While most landscape photographers strive to show the pureness of nature without any human influence, given how much of the world has been changed by humans, depicting the nature together with man-made objects can also be considered a form of landscape photography.
Some tips on landscape photography:
Create Depth. When you are taking a landscape photograph, try creating a sense of depth by keeping all the different elements of the image in focus.
Generally, use a Wide-Angle Lens but it is not absolutely necessary
Use Photographic Filters.
Capture Movement.
Use Water as a Mirror.
Take Account of People.
Compose in Thirds.
Consider minimalism for your landscape image.
Consider the sky in your composition, do I want to include it, upper third, centre or upper two thirds.
The foreground is also of importance, is it helping to lead the viewer into the picture or is it distracting form the main focus of the landscape you want to capture.
Look for patterns, lines, and other compositional elements you can use.
Always place importance on the art, the technical aspects of photography are important but create an artistic image and it will grab the attention of the viewer.
The Cheat Sheet
1.Preparation – know a location, scout, arrive early, and predict when the best conditions/light will occur.
2. Know your craft – using your camera needs to become second nature, knowing your toolkit of camera craft too.
3. Critique yourself – as you are shooting evaluate your composition because Photoshop won’t fix it.
4. Immerse yourself – what is it about a certain scene that is singing to you? Do I shoot if a location doesn’t inspire me?
5. The art comes first
6. Collect data – exposure blend, focus stack or stitch where necessary to properly capture the scene.
7. Steady on – the latest cameras are good, but they cannot replicate what a sturdy tripod brings to the table.
8. Pre-conceived idea or an open mind?

9. Time – I prefer to allow myself plenty of time to get in the groove and also have time to re-shoot scene if I am not pleased with my first attempt. This also allows me to really get to know a spot.
10. Not the end of the world – your attempts will fall short. Great images (truly great images) are rare. The ones that stop you in your tracks for more time than it takes to double tap it on Instagram. There is plenty of really beautiful imagery out there but it’s not every day that an image commands your attention and draws you back time and time again. These will be rare. You can of course improve your chance by getting out as often as you can, understanding your vision and style and actively pursuing it. However, be prepared to mess things up. You might visit an epic location and have all the elements align and completely fluff it. But that’s all part of the process.

Print – “On the Move” (Wagin Interclub topic)
An image showing anyone or anything on the move, moving, or being moved in any way. Photographers may choose to show, or freeze, the movement.

My understanding is that with this topic we are trying to convey “motion”.
The motion can be conveyed by a blurred main subject, blurred background or frozen subject that captures a moment in time whist in motion.
You will need to decide which of these bests conveys your story and makes the image eye catching and interesting.
Movement can communicate mood. Trees rustling in the wind suggest serenity while throngs of people on a busy city block imply harried activity.
One of the techniques to use to capture motion is “Panning”. Panning requires that you move your camera with your subject. Specifically, you’ll be matching your subject’s rate of movement and the direction in which it is traveling.
Another effective method for capturing motion within your images is ‘chrono photography’. Using the continuous shooting feature on your camera, you can capture a series of shots and join them together in the post processing stage to create the effect shown above. A tripod is essential when attempting to shoot motion using this method.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JillH, MikeB, Richard H, DebbieS, Jodie D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2020 09:03 #6757 by Jodie D
Replied by Jodie D on topic 2020 Schedule - January Topics
January projected topic critique from Alan Carter attached.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KyleaH

More
03 Feb 2020 14:00 #6767 by KyleaH
Replied by KyleaH on topic 2020 Schedule - January Topics
Hi Jodie,

Just wanting to confirm you were able to submit my missed images for judging. I'm considering one of them for Wagin but was hoping for some feedback.

Cheers,
Kylea

More
05 Feb 2020 16:16 #6792 by Jodie D
Replied by Jodie D on topic 2020 Schedule - January Topics
Hoping to hear back from Alan asap

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds