Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Do you need help or have you come across something you think others may find useful?

TOPIC: mirror less camera

mirror less camera 15 Dec 2018 12:06 #5371

Can anyone recommend a good mirror less camera. Also what size lenses would I need for portrait and landscapes
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear, Chris dB

mirror less camera 15 Dec 2018 12:22 #5372

• Bear
Wow, this is a big question to answer.
A lot depends on what you what out of photography and what your intentions are on how you are going to use it for.
I believe this sort of question is best answered face to face and quite a bit of research needs to go into it.
Are you after a full frame or are you happy having crop sensor camera.
Within the crop sensor cameras there are two main catergories, micro 3/3rds and the slightly larger crop sensor.
The main manufacturers you are looking for might be Canon, Nikon, both very new into the market of mirrorless, Fuji, crop sensor X Series, Sony has full frame and crop sensors and Lumix.
All Have pro's and con's and it si very much an indidual choice and preferrences.
All take great images and it si the photogpraher that counts.
One other important factor, weight to consider, not only of the body but when the lenses are attached, someimes the weight is ot much difference to an SLR.
If you wish to discuss further let me know, I have jsut bought a second system which is mirrorless for travelling but retain my SLR system for local work.
Hope this helps,
Dennis Bear
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeB, Chris dB

mirror less camera 21 Dec 2018 11:43 #5380

• JillH
Tell us again what you bought Denis?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear

mirror less camera 21 Dec 2018 12:37 #5382

• Bear
I bought the Fiji X-T20.
I need to point out that my criteria was always to buy a low weight camera, preferably part of a system, incase I wanted to expand later on, for travelling.

The Sony A6500 was very attractive, more expensive than the Fuji but it uses "compressed RAW" files. the compressed factor put me off it, it is a crop sensor too.
I did not find out much not could find out the implicaitons of the "compressed" factor of this system, but the camera has fantastic functionalities, much more than the X-T20. The lenses on the Sony are larger than Fuji which affected the weight issue.
The new Nikon and Canon mirrorless were not in the market at the time but I do not believe they woudl have persuaded me.
The Sony full frame had much similar issues as the Sony A6500 but it is full frame whcih made it attractive.
Olympus has micro 2/3rd sesor which put me off, however, it is the lightest.
Fiji X-T2, crop sensor but the weight difference to what I have with Canon was not significant enough to warrant getting it.
The Fuji X-T20, although it does not have as many features as the X-T2 it has the same sensor and the weight is significantly less and it uses the same lenses. The Fuji lenses are purposely designed for the X system and are small and relatively well priced.
I also found that even after making the choice of camera body I had to determine which was the best lenses for travelling, again in order to achive the weight reduction I needed.
Anyone that woudl like a more face to face discussion on this is most welcomed and see the camera and lens.
If any more information required please do not hesitate to ask.
I also used "Camera Compare" website to look and the pros and cons of different camera bodies and lenses.
Hope this helps,
Dennis
The following user(s) said Thank You: JillH, Josie M

mirror less camera 27 Dec 2018 21:23 #5396

• Wynny
I made the switch from Canon to Fujifilm just over a year ago as I wanted a system that was easier to carry around while travelling while still maintaining a good image quality. I think that there are a number of systems that give excellent results and the ultimate decision for me was personal preferences.
I chose the X-T2 as it reminded me a lot of my old Canon film cameras (A1). The layout also placed controls that I use a lot such as exposure compensation in easy reach. I agree with Dennis to some degree that the X-T2 is not the smallest or lightest mirrorless camera but with the reduction in weight of the lenses as well I find it much more portable and less in your face for (living subjects). The camera feels very natural in my hand but as I said that is for me and it may feel different for you. Fujifilm have almost without exception great lenses with the downside being that there are very few third party lenses available (not that they are needed anyway).
I particularly like the softer look that the sensor gives as it suits what I want photos to look like. But be aware that crop sensor mirrorless cameras also have some downsides. Crop sensor cameras of all sizes lose out a bit in low light but this in many instances this is barely visible (if at all). Also mirrorless cameras can chew up the batteries so factor in the cost of some spare batteries for full day shoots.
As for your question about portrait and landscape in whatever system I would recommend a fast lens of around 85mm equivalent for portrait (for example in Fujifilm this would be probably 56mm 1.2). For landscape depends on the effect. I most often use a 10-24mm (15-36mm equivalent) but use longer lenses for different looks. My normal walk around lens is the 18-55mm which is fantastic quality and value for a lens that is usually labelled a kit lens.
Hope this helps. If it is possible to love a camera I love my X-T2 but as it is a personal choice you may need to see how a few cameras look and feel before you make your choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear, Chris dB, Josie M

mirror less camera 14 Jan 2019 08:53 #5450

You forgot to mention the trusty Olympus Dennis! A very popular choice for many even with the crop sensor. The reduced weight was a big factor for me.

Ok saw that you included Olympus in your second post!!

mirror less camera 14 Jan 2019 11:45 #5452

• Bear
Yes, the second post was a little more detailed.
I believe the Olympus is the lightest, including the lenses.
The lenses have one of the best glass on them and are designed specifically for the cameras, hence the light weight and right proportion of waight ratio to the body.
The macro 2/3rd is the only thing that put me off, it is a personal thing.
Dennis

mirror less camera 17 Jan 2019 07:21 #5466

Some great info in here. As everyone has indicated, there is not a single perfect fit.

I'm currently using Fuji X-T2 and the reason I choose it was because of the 18-135mm lens. On a cropped sensor it's a good all-purpose lens for travel.
Denise Aitken
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds