Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Do you need help or have you come across something you think others may find useful?

TOPIC: Awarded Images Upload: topic names & sharpening

Awarded Images Upload: topic names & sharpening 01 Mar 2019 11:40 #5642

RE: topic names for awarded image uploads gallery

I'm seeking clarification on the "Topic" names for awarded uploads for the 28 February subjects as part of the naming convention "Award_Topic_Title_Your name".

The 2019 Exhibition Schedule has the following names:
Projected - Inorganic (Close Up / Macro Click West topic)
Print - After Sunset / Before Sunrise (Landscape Click West Topic)

The 7 February topic names "from_above" and "relationships" are straightforward, but how should the 28 February topic names be applied?
For example, should the projected title be "inorganic_close_up_macro" or just "inorganic", or something else?
For the print topic, should the title be "after_sunset_before_sunrise" or "after_sunset" or "before_sunrise" depending on the image?

Can someone please clarify how important topic naming consistency is in the overall naming of awarded images for uploads?

RE: sharpening for awarded image uploads

When preparing a printed image I've exported in Lightroom using 'sharpening for gloss print' with maximum JPEG file size (from RAW). I know I need to export the image to have the correct digital upload requirements for maximum WIDTH 1920 ppi, HEIGHT 1080 ppi, and RESOLUTION 72 ppi, and file size < 1.5 MB, but what to do with 'sharpening'?

Should the print edits be changed to sharpen for screen or left as sharpen for gloss print as the export results are slightly different?

Thanks
Julie :huh:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeB, Chris dB

Awarded Images Upload: topic names & sharpening 01 Mar 2019 11:46 #5643

Curious onlooker here.

Awarded Images Upload: topic names & sharpening 01 Mar 2019 16:20 #5645

for the sharpening question I would say sharpen for screen
as for the naming, my take on it would be, don't stress over it, as long as it is recognisable for what the topic was ie "inorganic" "after_sunset_before_sunrise" should be ok, but that is only my opinion I could and are possibly wrong

In previous galleries the naming convention has not been consistent across the board, there have been subtle variations
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heather, Chris dB, JulieK

Awarded Images Upload: topic names & sharpening 01 Mar 2019 16:53 #5646

• JillH
For naming, you don't need to stress too much or be overly complicated, and I think we don't want the name too long......

ie Gold_Inorganic_Rust_John_Doe.jpg
or as you suggest Gold_AfterSunset_Title_Your_Name.jpeg

There are differences in how people name their images, but as long as you have the award, topic and your name, you should be ok.
For instance "Feel the Emotion", could be shortened to "Emotion".
"Australian Rural Life", could be shortened to "RuralLife"

You have raised a great question, and I don't know if there is any hard or fast rules for this one.
I hope this has helped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heather, MikeB, Chris dB, Richard H, JulieK

Awarded Images Upload: topic names & sharpening 01 Mar 2019 17:25 #5647

Thanks, Richard, for your recommendation regarding sharpening. Much appreciated. :)

Awarded Images Upload: topic names & sharpening 01 Mar 2019 17:27 #5648

Thanks, Richard and Jill, for your thoughts on naming.
Hope you're feeling better too, Jill. Missed you at the meeting.

Awarded Images Upload: topic names & sharpening 04 Mar 2019 07:57 #5653

The questions have already been answered by Jill and Richard, but I just thought I would add this.

You might want to consider creating an Export Template in Lightroom to use for the future and you can use it over and over each month and the only thing you need update before you export is to enter the appropriate name in the Custom Text Box.

As you can see from the attachment I have a specific folder that all my exported images for club gallery go into. (I also have one for Club Night Projected Images). That way I know where they are, but also, I know that I don't need to keep these and can readily delete what's in these folders as the originals are still in where they need to be in LR). If you are unsure of what I mean or want more info you can give me a call on 0408 882 174

ScreenShot2019-03-04at8.00.40am.png
Denise Aitken
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heather, MikeB, Chris dB, JulieK

Awarded Images Upload: topic names & sharpening 05 Mar 2019 16:31 #5664

Thanks, Denise. I've found Lightroom Export Presets are very helpful.

I now have LR Export Presets for PGoB Prints and Projected exports since they are so easy to use. I've now added another Preset for awarded Prints, to 'sharpen for screen' where I've previously used print settings (for gloss/matte).

:)
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds