× Do you need help or have you come across something you think others may find useful?

Importing RAW images from a new camera into an old version of Lightroom

More
09 Feb 2020 18:44 #6809 by lisa_hubbard
Hi,

I have been happily using an old version of Lightroom (Version 4) for editing photos. However, last year I bought a new camera, upgrading from a Nikon D90 to a Nikon D7200. I now cannot import RAW files from the new camera into Lightroom, JPEGS are ok though.

Does anyone know a workaround for this? Some sort of plugin? I couldn't find anything online, just a workaround by converting images to DNG??

Or will I need to upgrade to the new Cloud version of Lightroom? If I do, does anyone know f this is an easy process without having to move any files etc?

Any advice very much appreciated.

Regards,
Lisa

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2020 21:28 #6821 by LinaC
Hi Lisa my Lightroom is 5 and I upload photos from a d810. You should be able to upload your photos. I don't have the answer but I could take a look at your computer if you like. I'm better on hands on. I'm happy to help. I live in Eaton if yr close by I can take a look at it. Otherwise I'm not sure why. Tomorrow I'm at a first aid course all day. Are you available during the day? Let me know.

More
10 Feb 2020 00:32 #6823 by lisa_hubbard
Hi Lina, no I'm not available during the day. The issue is that my camera is too new for the Lightroom version and it doesn't recognise the raw images because of this. When I try to import I get the message below. Also I can't preview the images.
Attachments:

More
10 Feb 2020 06:45 #6826 by LinaC
Ok I have had the same when a Lexar card is inserted. I had lightroom 4 and had a D7000. I'm not convinced your lightroom cannot view. Can you tell me what type of card your using in your camera?

More
10 Feb 2020 12:38 #6827 by Chris dB
Hi Lisa, sounds like Lina might be on the right track. I'm sure that Nikon would still be using the same raw file type NEF I think?? So Lightroom would allow the import, it would not be able to find your camera/lens for the calibration though. I can't see the error message that you said you had posted.

Cheers Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeB

More
10 Feb 2020 18:56 #6832 by lisa_hubbard
Hi Lina and Chris,
Thanks very much for your replies and help. I really appreciate you trying to help as I am out of ideas! Yes the RAW format is still an NEF, same as my old camera. The card I am using is SanDisk, the same as my old camera. I attached a word document to to my post above with the screenshots, it appears as a grey square blob under the post, which I think must be the new forum format. Its not very easy to pick up. I have now tried to attach it again inserted in this reply, so hope you can see it. Yes I agree it should be something to do with not recognising the new camera and/or lens, but I couldn't find anything online on how to update the camera specifications. However, it imports the JPEG format of the photos ok which are also from the new camera and same card! So that suggests an issue with RAW only...

File Attachment:

File Name: LRScreensh...-10.docx
File Size:51 KB
Attachments:

More
10 Feb 2020 19:03 #6833 by Richard H
Hi Lisa,
I had a similar problem when going from a D40 to a D90 to make things work I converted files to DNG on import, I am now using the subscription version and no longer convert files, they all get imported as NEF from D7200 and D750 also the Nikon 1 V1

More
10 Feb 2020 20:39 #6839 by Chris dB
Hi Lisa, I can see your attachment. As Richard suggests you'll need to convert to DNG format on import.

Cheers Chris

More
10 Feb 2020 22:47 #6841 by lisa_hubbard
Hi Chris and Richard,
Thanks for your replies and help. So I was on the right track at the beginning but I didn't really know what a DNG file was. I still only know what I have recently read. Richard, is this as good as an NEF raw file to work with, or do you lose any info on conversion? Would you recommend converting to DNG and staying with Lightroom 4 or upgrading Lightroom? I might speak with you tomorrow night at the committee meeting if that's ok. lisa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard H

More
12 Feb 2020 09:48 #6845 by Chris dB
Lisa, you will be fine using DNG, I have used this for years, only just recently gone back to my native camera file. At the end of the day you'll start to have more and more problems using Lightroom 4. As you start to upgrade your equipment, as you have already noticed and when you next upgrade your computer you may find that you have no choice but to upgrade to the subscription version.

Cheers Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeB, Richard H, lisa_hubbard

More
12 Feb 2020 11:57 #6848 by MikeB
Lisa, I have always converted to .dng as this allows me to use a multitude of different software if I want. I can't see any impact from the original file - I'm using Canon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard H, lisa_hubbard

More
08 Mar 2020 09:19 #6936 by Denise
Hi Lisa, Sorry for the very late reply, but I am wondering if you got this sorted.

My opinion/understanding of Lightroom and importing RAW image (or Photoshop opening RAW) is a little different than others. This is what I understand the process to be.

The programs need to have the correct RAW convertor. As Richard indicated, if you are on subscription you will get auto updates for new cameras so unlikely to be an issue. Your problem was super common in the past but as so many people are now on subscription you don’t hear about it often anymore. Anyone on subscription who reads the update release notes will see that they generally refer to including support for new cameras.

If you haven’t sorted the problem yet you need to update the RAW convertor. As LR4 is old, it's highly unlikely that support is still provided.

Others have made reference to importing the file as DNG, I don’t think you can directly do this (unless it is already DNG).

I believe LR needs to be able to read the RAW file, BEFORE it can convert it to a DNG. (Digital Negative). If you select the import option COPY as DNG and watch it you will see that the conversion happens after the RAW file is imported. It comes in as the NEF, ORF, CR2, RAF etc depending on camera brand, then it runs through a second process to become DNG.

DNG was create by Abode and made free to camera manufactures, some Camera manufacturers use it like Lieca and Hassleblad, most stuck to their own proprietary format. The reason to convert to DNG is so that moving forward, the file format will be able to be read when systems change (to prevent the issue you have just had applying to you library of RAW files).

Things change, DGN is a way to better protect your images and prepare for future technology changes. Consider this:
• Years ago there were slides, now we can’t see childhood slides unless you have a cumbersome slide projector and screen (and a bulb that works). As we want to see them instantly you have used some other technology or you may have scanned to JPG and already imported them
• Not so long ago we had VHS and video camera - we can't see these either - so a lot of people paid money to copy them onto CDs
• Over the last 10 year those CDs are now pretty much defunct - I don't have a CD player - things went onto thumb drive and on it goes.

Technology changes, the best we can do is adopts ways to keep up with it to safeguard our images into the future.

LR can still read the CR2 files I converted to RAW from my 2008 images. If I revisit those images to edit, LR gives me option to edit them in the latest version.

I’m not saying that DNG will be the last file format, but it will be the most serviceable to a long time. JPG has been around for years, but Apple has a new supposedly superior file format called HEIF. So anyone using a newer Apple phone in association with LR may wish to consider this from Adobe in order to get the maximum amount of data from their phone’s images

Change the camera settings to capture in JPEG/H. This setting is available only on devices that can capture media in HEIF or HEVC format. All new photos and videos now use JPEG or H. 264 format. To return to using the space-saving HEIF and HEVC formats, choose High Efficiency.

I am curious it you were able to import DNG directly into your LR4 version or did you have to take some other action?

Denise Harrison
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeB, Chris dB, lisa_hubbard

More
21 Mar 2020 17:29 #6987 by lisa_hubbard
Hi Denise,
Sorry for my very late reply, and thanks for your post and thoughts. As you thought I could not import my files directly into LR4 using the 'copy as DNG' option. I got the same message as when I tried to import as NEF - "The file is from a camera which is not recognised by the RAW format support in Lightroom".
However, I did find a way to sort it out. Adobe have what they call the Adobe Digital negative Converter - a free peice of software free to download that allows conversion of RAW files into DNG outside of LR. I downloaded this and installed on my laptop. You can choose your compatability preferences for conversion - I chose Camera Raw 6.6 and later (which covers LR Version 3.6 and later). I converted a whole folder and images then imported them into LR without any issues!
It is good to sort this out but also to actually know about DNG. After this, and after your comments, I may convert and store many of my RAW files this way.
Link to Adbobe DNG Converter:
helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html
Lisa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denise, MikeB, Chris dB, Richard H

More
01 Apr 2020 06:57 #7064 by Denise
Well done Lisa

That was a good outcome and really helpful to know about the Adobe converter.

Denise Harrison
The following user(s) said Thank You: lisa_hubbard

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds