Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Do you need help or have you come across something you think others may find useful?

TOPIC: Tripod ball head

Tripod ball head 26 Jan 2017 15:36 #3444

• JillH
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with a ball head on their tripod?
I bought a 3-Legged-Thing tripod last August, after one of my tripod legs broke in August. After a long time to-ing and fro-ing between brands and models I went with the 3LT. The main reason I went with the 3-Legged-Thing was that Nick Meladonis recommend it at one of his workshops.
Since then I haven't used it a lot, but I've recently renewed my interest in food photography, and the other day when I had it out the adjustment-tightening knob on the ball head did nothing! ie the camera just swings down. Which of course is of no use at all! It was always a tiny bit sloppy - ie I had to tighten the knob really hard, but it was still useable. Now now it is useless.
I have contacted where I bought it, and await their reply to see if I can get a replacement head under warranty.

In the meantime I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, or what your thoughts on the ball head was. A food photographer who runs am on-line group I belong to says that is why she doesn't own a ball head tripod. I wish I'd been in the group last August. I'm glad I wasn't out on a food shoot when it happened. I have now dragged out my original tripod I bought in the 70s, so that will suffice for now.

Thanks all. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tripod ball head 26 Jan 2017 18:27 #3447

Hi Jill

Sorry to hear that, incredibly frustrating.

Michelle Lathwell also bought a 2 legged thing and I think she had some problems. Not sure it is was resolved but you could ask.

I have a ball head, I LOVE it and cannot imagine going back to a bulky 3 way pan head, (my cheap original) or a pistol grip which served me well in it's time, though it was heavy and cumbersome. My tripod head is from Really Right Stuff and it is small to suit my traveller tripod.
Denise Aitken
The following user(s) said Thank You: JillH

Tripod ball head 26 Jan 2017 23:03 #3448

• JillH
Thanks Denise. I've looked at the Really Right Stuff website - but I can't really work out if their ball heads fit other tripods or not. I mostly use my tripod for food stuff, so need it rock solid.

Tripod ball head 30 Jan 2017 13:06 #3460

HI Jill...most "good quality" ball heads will fit multiple tripods. I have a Manfrotto Tripod fitted with an Induro ball head. I had some slippage in my original and took it back to Ben at Team Digital and he replaced it immediately. Sometimes it is best to shop local rather than online. Not that you expect anything to happen to your original purchase.

Tripod ball head 01 Feb 2017 06:23 #3467

I agree with Ash's comments about local after service.

Where I can, I buy through Team Digital and Camera Electronic and I am really happy with the prices I get (often bargained for but with reasonable expectations).

Really Right Stuff is at the top of its tree in regard to being a piece of precision equipment, though I am sure there are others I don't know about. They do not distribute their product, you can only buy directly from Really Right Stuff. If you have a question or concern about the right head for your equipment and the style of photography, just email and you will get a reply. Along with quality come a very premium price.

I got into RRS after I have been watching someone use their camera and I couldn't figure out what they were doing. After a conversation with this stranger, I was told it was an L-Bracket from RRS and that's where it started (of course a few years ago now). Started with an L Bracket for my Canon 7D.

Chris de Blank also has RRS ball head though a larger one than I use
Denise Aitken
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds