× Use this section to post information about photography related events such as gallery events/exhibitions, photographic competitions, places you may have found interesting to photograph or articles of websites of interest

Triathlon Photoshoot 16/02/2020

More
29 Jan 2020 09:24 - 29 Jan 2020 09:30 #6743 by lisa_hubbard
Triathlon Photoshoot 16/02/2020 was created by lisa_hubbard
Hi all,

The PGOB have again been asked to provide the photography for a major triathlon event - The Bunbury City Classic Standard Distance Triathlon on Sunday 16th February 2020. This year, the organisers of the event, the Bunbury Triathlon Club, will be making a $250 donation to the PGOB for our services and providing the photos free of charge to participants, instead of us selling the photos.

I am looking to put together a team of PGOB photographers to cover this event. Last year we had a team of 6 photographers and it was a great experience. It is a great reason for a club photoshoot, opportunity to practice sports photography and raise funds for the PGOB.

DATE: Sunday 16th February 2020
TIME: 7:00am – 11am

About the Event
This event is the State Standard Distance Triathlon Championship and is also a qualifying race for the 2020 ITU World Championships. There is expected to be around 500 competitors. It will include 3 different race distances all with a swim in Koombana Bay, followed by a cycle along Ocean Drive, and run around Leschenault Inlet and to the Lighthouse. There will be fantastic opportunities for action and sports shots including fast shutter speed and panning with great backgrounds. If you have ever wanted to have a go at Sports Photography this is the opportunity!
For more detailed information about the actual event, including course maps I have attached the Participant Guide for the race. Information can also be found on the Bunbury Triathlon Club Website and Facebook Page.

www.bunburytriclub.com/events/bunbury-classics/
www.facebook.com/events/508970913206529/

The Photos
The type of photos required are mainly individual participant photos for each of the swim, bike and run legs, as well as finish line shots, presentations and general event shots. Photos are required in FINE JPEG format with little or no processing expected. Photos will be required for uploading within a few days of the event. I will provide details on where and how to upload photos and in what format.

The copyright of the photos will remain with the photographer, but they will be provided free to download by participants.

A website I have used in the past to organise, upload and sell Triathlon photos is Geosnapshot. It has some fantastic photographer tip videos on camera settings and shooting for sporting events.

geophotographer.com/taking-photos-that-sell/

I have included a link to the photos from last years’ Bunbury City Classic Triathlon event, as well as another Triathlon I have covered in the past for an idea on what photos are required.

geosnapshot.com/e/bunbury-city-classic-triathlon-2019/9124
www.geosnapshot.com/e/bunbury-wa-sufferfest-2018

If you are interested in photographing this event, please let me know ASAP by adding your name to the list below. It doesn’t have to be for the whole duration of the event either. Depending on numbers and time availabilities, we will work out course locations for each photographer. It would be good to have someone at the swim start and exits, along the bike course, on the run course, at the finish line, and for the presentations. We will be given orange volunteer vests to wear during the event.

BUNBURY CITY CLASSIC TRIATHLON 2020 - Photographers
Lisa Hubbard

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bear, JillH, Chris dB, LilengA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2020 18:57 #6749 by Richard H
Replied by Richard H on topic Triathlon Photoshoot 16/02/2020
Richard Hall if required
The following user(s) said Thank You: lisa_hubbard

More
30 Jan 2020 16:12 #6753 by JillH
Replied by JillH on topic Triathlon Photoshoot 16/02/2020
Sorry Lisa, still having problems with my ankle and going for MRI next week to see what's going on, so don't want to commit to this.

More
31 Jan 2020 09:11 #6758 by Jodie D
Replied by Jodie D on topic Triathlon Photoshoot 16/02/2020
Richard Hall if required
Jodie Deeley

More
31 Jan 2020 09:17 #6759 by RussellS
Replied by RussellS on topic Triathlon Photoshoot 16/02/2020
Richard Hall if required
Jodie Deeley
Russell Smith

More
03 Feb 2020 18:51 #6771 by JacquelineQ
Replied by JacquelineQ on topic Triathlon Photoshoot 16/02/2020
Jacqueline Quadrio

I can help out with this one. I'm still learning my new camera, so may just need someone more experienced to check my camera settings or give me the easier task (non moving subjects etc). Would that suit? What equipment would i need to bring?

More
05 Feb 2020 09:33 #6784 by Richard H
Jacqueline, I found last year that it was easiest to shoot in jpeg fine, autofocus, single point (although group points would work) continuous focus, A mode(aperture priority) @ f8 ISO 200, this gave me a shutter speed around the 1/400 sec depending on how bright the sun is. As for lenses something like a 18-200 zoom would work well

More
09 Feb 2020 19:26 #6813 by JacquelineQ
Thank you very much Richard-very helpful :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard H

More
09 Feb 2020 19:33 #6814 by lisa_hubbard
Replied by lisa_hubbard on topic Triathlon Photoshoot 16/02/2020
Hi Jacqueline,
Firstly, sorry for taking so long to reply. I did try to reply to you here on the forum last week, but looks like it didn’t submit, so I will try again.

Thanks very much for offering to help with the photography for the Bunbury City Classic Triathlon next Sunday. I’m sure you will be fine, but you only need to do what you are comfortable with. Please let me know.

There are a lot of very good photographers at the PGOB, and always willing to help. The group coming to shoot the Triathlon are very good and should be able to help with camera settings on the day.

For the photoshoot, you only need your camera and one zoom lens, I use an 18-140mm zoom (it’s the only lens I have anyway!!)

Richard gave very good advice. I also shoot for Triathlons in fine JPEG format. I generally use Manual Mode and set shutter speed to about 1/1250 sec and aperture 4.5 – 5.6, with ISO set to auto. I also use Auto focus continuous for moving subjects. I sometimes also use multiple shutter release. This has its benefits, in that you get the exact shot you want, but also drawbacks, as you have 3 times or more the amount of photos to sort through and cull!

I encourage you to watch the tip videos at the link below. I found these very helpful when I first agreed to do the photography for a triathlon a couple of years ago! Scroll down to the bottom and there is a video on camera settings, and one on shooting sport events, which includes triathlon examples.

Regards,
Lisa
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeB

More
09 Feb 2020 19:34 #6815 by lisa_hubbard
Link for sports photography tip videos:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeB, Chris dB

More
09 Feb 2020 19:45 #6816 by lisa_hubbard
Just confirming the photographers list so far for the Triathlon Photoshoot next Sunday:

Lisa Hubbard
Richard Hall if required
Jodie Deeley
Russell Smith
Jacqueline Quadrio

A new member called Julie Neave also spoke to me at the last Club Night and sai she was interested. I directed her here to the Forum for information, but am not sure she has seen it. Does anyone have a contact for her?

Thanks,
Lisa

More
10 Feb 2020 19:11 #6836 by Richard H
Lisa, for any member contacts it is probably easiest to send Trevor an email or text as he would have all of the details

More
11 Feb 2020 17:37 #6842 by lisa_hubbard
Could I please ask that those confirmed for the Triathlon Photoshoot register as a volunteer for the race at
www.bunburytriclub.com/events/bunbury-classics/

Scroll down to the volunteers registration button and answer the additonal questions as in the attached document ie.

Whiich Club are you a member of? Other - Photography Group of Bunbury
Preference Sunday 16/02/2020? Other - Photographer

File Attachment:

File Name: VolunteerR...020.docx
File Size:375 KB
Attachments:

More
11 Feb 2020 19:33 #6843 by RussellS
Lisa,

Could not identify myself on the Volunteers Registration as a member of PGOB or as a photographer. Could not see a way to attach your .doc to the registration. Am I doing something wrong. I have successfully registered though.

More
11 Feb 2020 23:09 #6844 by lisa_hubbard
Hi Russell, no problem, I have given the name list to the Tri Club, so they will know who is registering for photography. The document was just screenshots to show you what to do, not for attachment to the registration. Thanks for doing the registration. I will post and/or e-mail more info before Sunday on what time/where to meet. Do you have any preference this time for where to be/ what leg to photograph? Lisa

More
12 Feb 2020 17:49 #6855 by Richard H
registration confirmed for Sunday

More
12 Feb 2020 20:32 #6856 by lisa_hubbard
Final list for photographers at the Bunbury City Classic Triathlon

Lisa Hubbard
Richard Hall if required
Jodie Deeley
Russell Smith
Jacqueline Quadrio
Julie Neaves

I just found out that the volunteer registration on the BTC website has closed, so if you haven't registered yet don't worry, I will give the list of names directly to the volunteer coordinator.

Please indicate any preferences for what you want to photograph, including if you want to be out on course somewhere instead of in Koombana Bay, such as on Ocean Drive taking cyclist photos. I'll send out a location and time list for all of us before Sunday.

Meet at 6:30am at the registration table to sign on and pick up a high vis vest.

Please be aware of the road closures and parking arrangements:
Please note that, between 6.15am and 11am, Koombana Bay will be closed to traffic with no access available to the car parks.
Parking is available across from Transition on Inlet Side of Koombana Drive in carpark and in carpark opposite BREC. Please note road closures are in place between 6.30am and 11am. If parked within event boundaries you will be restricted from leaving event until the roads are open again.

Lisa
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeB, Richard H

More
13 Feb 2020 19:26 #6857 by JacquelineQ
Hi Lisa,
Unfortunately I need to withdrawal as something has come up at last minute. Apologies :(

More
14 Feb 2020 12:34 #6860 by lisa_hubbard
No problem Jacqueline.

We should be OK with 5 photographers, but if anyone else wants to join at the last minute please let me know either here on the forum, or by calling:
0421 210 425.
Thanks,
Lisa

More
15 Feb 2020 15:29 #6872 by RussellS
No real preference. I can mix it or go where needed.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds