× Use this section to post information about photography related events such as gallery events/exhibitions, photographic competitions, places you may have found interesting to photograph or articles of websites of interest

Moonrise Outing Wed, 7 January

More
03 Jan 2015 09:11 #742 by Denise
Moonrise Outing Wed, 7 January was created by Denise
Hi all
Would anyone like to join me in a shoot down the coast at Meelup Beach on Wednesday?

Sunset is at 7.34pm and the moonrise is an hour later at 8.44pm. It's just past full moon, but it will be a big bright moon. I intend to be at Meelup at around 6.45pm so that we have time to have a chat, work out camera settings, explore for positions where you might like to shoot etc (and eat)

For those wanting to experiment and improve skill or learn new ones there are a few options to explore
1. To shoot the moon itself - how to expose for the moon and get detail
2. To shoot by the light of the moon - (night time, longer exposures)
3. Blue Hour photography
4. Painting with Light - using torches to illuminate the subject.

I will be taking a picnic dinner and will get there from around 6.30pm. There are bbqs and picnic tables. It may be a late night for some depending on what you want to achieve, but you can leave whenever you've had enough.

What to bring
(camera stuff)
1. Your favourite lens to shoot the landscape
2. Your longest lens (If you want to shoot the moon itself).
3. Fully charged batteries (night photography uses a lot of battery power, so please don't make the mistake of thinking the one you already have in the camera is ok and only charging the spare, you may be disappointed if you run out of power too soon)
4. Cable release (critical for exposures of more than 30 seconds i.e. using the BULB setting on your camera)
5. Tripod
6. A couple of torches. (go to the bottom of this post for more info on useful torches).

(other stuff)
Jacket - when the sun goes down it gets cool
Aeroguard
Water
A big bin bag. (handy for putting you camera bag in when on the beach)
Something to sit on
Snacks

Family and friends are welcome to come to along. (I can take 3 extras in my car, so let me know if you want a lift) Please add you name to the list if you are going to come along (just copy and paste the list from the last reply into your post and add your name to the bottom)

TORCH INFO
A small torch for checking the settings on your camera in the dark, I use one on a headband as it keeps my hands free. You also need powerful torch is a tool that enables you to focus on objects in the the dark as your camera can't do it when there is not enough light. Make sure your torch has charged batteries. (if you want to invest in a seriously good torch I recommend Led Lenser, you can buy them locally from camping stores, army surplus etc. Cheap online if you want to make do this time and invest for the future. I have had mine for years (H7 and M14) and the price has come down, but they are not cheap. The models have also been revised and improved Click Here to see a election of these torches

Who is coming to Meelup?
1 Denise

Denise Harrison
The following user(s) said Thank You: smith

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geoff
03 Jan 2015 18:00 #744 by Geoff
Replied by Geoff on topic Moonrise Outing Wed, 7 January
Thank you I will attend
From Geoff Maughan

More
05 Jan 2015 06:36 #748 by Denise
Replied by Denise on topic Moonrise Outing Wed, 7 January
Who is coming to Meelup?
1 Denise
2 Geoff
3 Russ
4 David

Anyone else?

Denise Harrison

More
05 Jan 2015 07:50 #749 by MikeB
Replied by MikeB on topic Moonrise Outing Wed, 7 January
Hi Denise, Joy & I are an apology as we will be in Denmark, hopefully getting a number of nice shots also

Enjoy
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denise

More
05 Jan 2015 19:55 #751 by jan
Replied by jan on topic Moonrise Outing Wed, 7 January
Who is coming to Meelup?
1 Denise
2 Geoff
3 Russ
4 David
5 Jan

Anyone else?

• wendyp
05 Jan 2015 21:29 #753 by wendyp
Replied by wendyp on topic Moonrise Outing Wed, 7 January
we will decide by tomorrow night! Thanks for the invitation & great tips

• wendyp
06 Jan 2015 20:46 #755 by wendyp
Hi all
Ian & are coming- we are leaving at 5pm from our home @ 7 Mimosa Link in Vittoria Heights- we have room in our 4WD to take 2 more if anyone would like a lift.
We will take our picnic dinner & plan on not too late a night for returning.
If you like a lift call us on 97257779 or my mob 0432 431 277
See you soon for a fun & experimental night

More
07 Jan 2015 07:02 #758 by Denise
Hi all

One thing we can't guarantee is the weather, fingers crossed. You might not walk away with cracker shots but at least you will have played around and hopefully learn something you can put into practice another time.

PS don't forget a jacket as it will get cool in the night

See you tonight

Denise Harrison

More
08 Jan 2015 18:07 - 08 Jan 2015 18:09 #761 by Denise
Hi all
It turned out to be a cloudless but breezy evening and the moon seemed to be a long way away, that is to say we did get one of those great optical illusions when the moon seems to be huge in the sky. Hopefully a few new skills may have been picked up.

Denise Harrison
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris dB

• wendyp
08 Jan 2015 21:03 #763 by wendyp
Thanks Denise for organizing the Meelup outing- we hadn't been there for years & I'd forgotten what a lovely little spot it is..
We enjoyed the evening & socializing & meeting new member Russel, ..oh yes & the opportunity to experiment with new photography techniques.

I learnt that I need to
1. practice ,practice changing my camera settings in the dark so I can switch more quickly .

2. Practice manual focusing with live view & a torch so I get accurate focus.

3. Recall that the moon moves quite quickly!

Haven't imported my photos yet !

More
10 Jan 2015 11:47 #769 by Chris dB
Replied by Chris dB on topic Moonrise Outing Wed, 7 January
looks pretty still, no sign of that wind hehe

Cheers Chris

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds