× Use this section to post information about photography related events such as gallery events/exhibitions, photographic competitions, places you may have found interesting to photograph or articles of websites of interest

2015 TOPICS

More
08 Sep 2014 17:34 #343 by Heather
2015 TOPICS was created by Heather
The year certainly isn't over yet with a couple of months of 2014 topics to complete, but I am starting to think about the 2015 schedule.

I invite you to submit some topics that you would like included in the schedule. It is really important that we have a good range of topics to reflect some of the types of photography that you love and feel comfortable with, but also some topics that will challenge your skills and creativity.

We try not to repeat topics too often so your suggestions will be considered in light of what has been covered in the last few years. Feel free to pinch ideas from other camera clubs, competition topics, flickr pages etc etc

Areas we like to cover in some form would be:
  • Architecture
  • Landscapes
  • Macro/Closeup
  • Portraiture
  • Camera techniques
  • Post processing techniques
In the past we have chosen from areas that include:
  • colours
  • emotions
  • abstract
  • textures
  • perspective

Please add your ideas by replying to this post with your suggestions. They will all be considered when compiling the 2015 schedule (which will be presented at the end of year wind-up).

Cheers,
Heather

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2014 19:50 #345 by Chris dB
Replied by Chris dB on topic 2015 TOPICS
Doors
Bokeh
more open

Cheers Chris

More
10 Sep 2014 23:55 #365 by Heather
Replied by Heather on topic 2015 TOPICS
What?? More open? We have three this year and I think I have struggled with each one and still one more to come! At least with a topic I can play around with the interpretation of the theme etc. Open scares me because you really need a good photo not just a good idea!!

More
13 Sep 2014 14:07 #377 by Denise
Replied by Denise on topic 2015 TOPICS
I am not a huge fan of open, but they do have a number of purposes. One is the social side of things that lets us share the shots we like, or things we may have been working etc. If we increase the number of Open, I would like to see it one month Colour, the next Mono and a 12 month limit on the date of the images - you can choose anything you like, but you can't troll backward too.

I copied these from other club site and thought them interesting
Make use of an unusual angle to create design or movement in an otherwise ordinary photograph.
Use soft focus, movement or shallow DoF in a high key setting to create an interesting photograph.
A photograph taken with an exposure time of 30 seconds or more.
Simplicity
Fill the Frame

Doors (and/or Windows)
Bokeh
The Seasons - (4 in one night or spread across the year) Image must evoke feeling of the chosen season (ie. you can't use a bright sunny day photo in winter, even if it was taken in winter, winter would reflect things about cold, wet, dull)

Denise Harrison

• Wynny
15 Sep 2014 18:50 #383 by Wynny
Replied by Wynny on topic 2015 TOPICS
Hmm, not sure that you will like my suggestions then.

More open
Anything with "landscape" in the topic
Mono open
Portrait
And more open

Like the idea of the time limiting the entries for open. Perhaps given the range of entries that we receive in open then this should be projected image to allow the judge more time to consider and compare. I guess also consideration of greater use of electronic entries to encourage cropping to suit the image rather than to suit the matts we already have.

Greg

More
22 Sep 2014 11:27 #394 by Chris dB
Replied by Chris dB on topic 2015 TOPICS
Another couple

chaos
birds
street photography

Cheers Chris

• Wynny
22 Sep 2014 21:32 #396 by Wynny
I guess the main thing for me is that the topics are not too prescriptive and restrictive and I think that this would minimise confusion as to what is acceptable and on some occasions lead to more entries.

For example in July with the topic "Urban Living" I held back from entering a couple of photos that I thought were good Urban Landscapes but which may not have fit with how I interpreted Urban Living. My interpretation was along the lines of the excellent photo that Chris de Blank entered but many of the entries on the night were along the lines of the shots that I didn't enter (one of which is now in the WAPF Interclub comp).

Just think that broader topics may encourage people using ingenuity and preferences whilst still being required to remain within rough guidelines.

My thoughts anyway.

More
25 Sep 2014 19:29 - 26 Sep 2014 08:36 #412 by PGoBWM
Replied by PGoBWM on topic 2015 TOPICS
The list so far

chaos
birds
street photography
image taken with a portable device
Doors (and/or Windows)
Bokeh
The Seasons
More open
Mono open
Portrait
Make use of an unusual angle to create design or movement in an otherwise ordinary photograph.
Use soft focus, movement or shallow DoF in a high key setting to create an interesting photograph.
Simplicity
Fill the Frame

More
27 Sep 2014 11:51 #416 by Trevor S
Replied by Trevor S on topic 2015 TOPICS
Perhaps we could expand the Portrait theme and break it down to different types e.g.
• A Mystery portrait ( i.e. an intriguing environmental portrait not showing the persons face e.g. silhouette, ¾ rear view etc. etc)
• A Mans portrait
• A Woman portrait
• Recreate an Iconic Hollywood Portrait of a famous actor or actress
• Environmental Portrait of a keen hobbyist

Just a few other Ideas
• Your best Travel photograph

• A Photo depicting the theme of a Movie

• A Photo depicting the theme of a Book

• A Photo depicting the theme of a Song

• Your best Pet photograph

And I also like the theme of ‘ Street Photography ‘ as well

• wendyp
27 Sep 2014 20:56 #419 by wendyp
Replied by wendyp on topic 2015 TOPICS
he list so far

chaos
birds
street photography
Doors (and/or Windows)
Bokeh
The Seasons
More open
Mono open
Portrait
Simplicity
Fill the Frame
Perhaps we could expand the Portrait theme and break it down to different types e.g.
• A Mystery portrait ( i.e. an intriguing environmental portrait not showing the persons face e.g. silhouette, ¾ rear view etc. etc)
• A Mans portrait
• A Woman portrait

Just a few other Ideas

"Against the Light" for early in the year so we can practice & have a club critique prior to trying to enter in the 2015 'Against the Light " competition
Still life

More
03 Oct 2014 22:53 #426 by Heather
I have a heap of topics to include but I have them written down at home so will add them when I am back in Bunbury.

Just a thought on 'Against the Light'. It is a really interesting topic and good for people to have a go with, but it was a topic used in the schedule this year and I don't think we should be repeating topics that have been used within 2 years at least. It would be a good workshop topic maybe where perhaps we can plan an early morning outing and then perhaps post on Flickr for feedback. It is also an individual competition so it is not as important to have a large number of entries as say the Wagin and Albany competitions when we need 15 images from the club to send off. For these I think it is almost essential that we put their topics on the schedule.

Has anyone heard what the Wagin topic will be for 2015?

More
17 Oct 2014 13:31 #442 by Heather
Well the Wagin Topic is out and I think it should be a good one. Certainly it will appeal to landscape photographers but it also allows for others to find a more detailed approach I am sure.

It is the second verse from the poem, My Country by Dorothea MacKellar

"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!"

Start shooting, these images will be due before our first club night in 2015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wendyp

• wendyp
17 Oct 2014 17:01 #443 by wendyp
Replied by wendyp on topic 2015 TOPICS
clever idea..offers lots of options & should suit all!

• Wynny
18 Oct 2014 06:24 #444 by Wynny
Nice and broad. Be good to get something fresh over the next couple of months to enter.

More
21 Oct 2014 22:45 #458 by Heather
The list so far

chaos
birds
street photography
Doors (and/or Windows)
Bokeh
The Seasons
More open
Mono open
Portrait
Simplicity
Fill the Frame
• A Mans portrait
• A Woman portrait

Just a few other Ideas

"Against the Light" for early in the year so we can practice & have a club critique prior to trying to enter in the 2015 'Against the Light " competition
Still life

…and a couple of new ideas
I have already said that I enjoy themes, so here are a few to comment on.
  • Gates
  • Botanical
  • Abstract
  • 7 Deadly Sins
  • Holiday Lights
  • 9-5 - People at Work
  • Fast Shutter Speed
  • Still Life
  • Cityscape
  • Wide Angle
  • Breaking the Rules
  • From the Hip
  • Down & Dirty (less than 15 cm from the ground)
  • Symmetry
  • Fragile
  • Warmth
  • Zen
  • Time
  • News Photography
  • Your Morning
  • Framing the photo (natural borders & frames in the shot)
  • The Environment - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle & Regenerate
  • Kids and/or Pets

• ****Please feel free to respond to other peoples suggestions. If you love their ideas, let us know so we can make sure they are included.
    Some earlier suggestions that I would like to add my support to are:
bokeh, the seasons, landscapes, soft focus, long exposure, fill the frame, mystery portrait, & travel photo.

More
21 Oct 2014 23:05 #460 by Heather
I would like to respond to Greg's suggestion that the topics be broad and less restrictive.

I think if we are looking at including more open topics it is fair enough to keep specific themes in the mix as well. Interpretation of a topic is always going to be an issue but for me it is part of what I find really interesting. Trying to capture a particular idea or theme is the challenge. Any confusion on the topic can always be raised at club nights because we discuss the upcoming topics. We also have a Flickr site where you can put images up for feedback. A quick email to some of our regular strong members with feedback requests will always be received positively I am sure!

Also I think you will have noticed that most interpretations of topics are accepted. I can't remember the last time someone was told they didn't fit the criteria. (Except of course when someone i.e. me!! forgets the topic is mono and has a lovely colour print to submit!!) In the end unless it is obviously not on the topic we let the judge have a say on the images.

I love the idea of taking photos with a very specific purpose.

• wendyp
23 Oct 2014 11:05 #461 by wendyp
Replied by wendyp on topic 2015 TOPICS-
This offers a fabulous selection to the members Heather-
However I am never sure just how many are reading the forum.. !!
So - members ....... here is your chance to add your viewpoint, support for any of the listed topics, comments etc.. Help Us out & have your say!

Me personally:
I really like the challenge of the monthly topics- this helps me extend myself, search & look for subjects that I ,allot of the time, would not have chosen to seek out.

As Heather said the topics are open to interpretation- if you're not sure there are many options online to seek your ideas. Closer to home you can post a discussion on this forum or you can email /phone to secretary who can forward your query to other members to seek " an opinion"

I'd like to see portraits of any sort included, long exposures, bokeh, Framing the photo (natural borders & frames in the shot), a max of 4 opens, from the hip. city scape.
I look forward to reaading other viewpoints

More
27 Oct 2014 20:37 - 27 Oct 2014 20:40 #475 by Chris dB
Replied by Chris dB on topic 2015 TOPICS-
This list is going to be long but if you could copy it and then add your name (In a different colour) next to the topics that you'd like then we can keep just 1 list going.

chaos
birds Chris
street photography Chris
image taken with a portable device Chris
Doors (and/or Windows) Chris
Bokeh ChrisHeatherWendy
The Seasons Heather
More open Chris
Anything with "landscape" in the topic ChrisHeather
Mono open Chris
Portrait Chris
A photograph taken with an exposure time of 30 seconds or more. Chris, Wendy, Healther
Simplicity
Fill the Frame Heather, Chris
• A Mystery portrait ( i.e. an intriguing environmental portrait not showing the persons face e.g. silhouette, ¾ rear view etc. etc) Chris, Healther
• A Mans portrait
• A Woman portrait
• Environmental Portrait of a keen hobbyist Chris
• Your best Travel photograph Chris, Heather
• Your best Pet photograph Chris
Gates Chris
Botanical Chris
Abstract
7 Deadly Sins
Holiday Lights
9-5 - People at Work
Fast Shutter Speed
Still Life
Cityscape Chris, Wendy
Wide Angle
Breaking the Rules
From the Hip ChrisWendy
Down & Dirty (less than 15 cm from the ground)
Symmetry
Fragile
Warmth
Zen
Time
News Photography
Your Morning
Framing the photo (natural borders & frames in the shot) ChrisWendy
The Environment - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle & Regenerate
Kids and/or Pets

Cheers Chris

More
27 Oct 2014 22:43 #480 by JillH
Replied by JillH on topic 2015 TOPICS
Food!!!!

• Michelle
28 Oct 2014 07:53 #485 by Michelle
Replied by Michelle on topic 2015 TOPICS-
Tried copying but the colour on the names is lost - how do you copy and keep the colour?
Michelle

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds